Monday, October 21, 2013

Week of Miracles!


Hey how are you all? This week was a fantastic week and we had a lot of improvement!! Lots of cool stories, too so here goes nothin :)

We got home last Monday afternoon after writing and washing our clothes and what not. Elder Cornejo went to take a nap and I wasn’t tired so I just layed down and relaxed. I was thinking about all that I had been through and seen and heard in my mission and was comparing my stories with other stories from other missionaries.  I was thinking that it would be super cool to teach someone the Word of Wisdom, ask them if they had problems with the WoW, and then take away their stuff and throw it in the trash. Ha pretty random thought I know. But we left normally to work after Pday and we just went around visiting less actives in the colony where we live. We visited a family named the Peregrina Family and began to visit with them. To make a long story short, their son of 16 years old had began to smoke and his life had begun to head downhill. He told us that he wanted to quit smoking and get back to church. So I asked him if he had cigarettes and asked if I could take them with us and throw them away.  So he gave them to us and we threw them away when we got home. Ha went back Saturday night to see if he had really quit smoking and he hadn’t smoked a single cigarette. Ha I was stoked and super grateful to know that Heavenly Father hears and answers our prayers. We are still working with this family to get the kids active and the parents married and active but we’ll see what happens :)


Elder Cornejo found a man by the name of Francisco before I arrived here to the ward. The man moved here from Sinaloa and claimed he was a member. He had an accident a while back and hasn’t been able to find work or anything. He is living with his brother right now and trying to get back into the Church and what not. So we looked up his membership and turns out the Church doesn’t have any of his records or anything so he will be getting baptized again the 12th of November :) We are only able to visit him once a week so by the time we see him from Sunday to Thursday, he is really struggling and upset. But he told us this week that every time we come to visit him, we have what he needs to hear and feels the Spirit really strongly :) Ha it was good for Elder Cornejo and I to hear that because we had wondered, for lack of success, if we were doing something wrong and didn’t have the Spirit with us. Needless to say hearing that really helped us this week and gave us a good boost :) We were able to set 3 other baptismal dates this week and all are for sure going to get baptized in November :)

From the pictures you can also we made tamales this week with the members :) super fun and they turned out really good!



Solid week this week and I am super grateful the Lord was able to help us set baptismal dates and find people to teach!!


To answer a few of Keaton's  questions:
Yes, they celebrate Halloween in Mexico :) The traditions are the same here in Tijuana because they are so close to the U.S. but they kids have a trunk or treat in the chapel the night of Halloween. Chistmas is the same as well! We actually already have our dinner appointments set with families here for Christmas Eve and Day :)

Keep working on your Spanish so we can talk when I get home!! :)

I love and miss you all :)
Take care!

Elder Roper 

A member opened up a Pizzeria this week and invited us to come and try it out.


Our apartment . . . I don't think anyone had cleaned the house before I got there so we are still tryin' to get it spic and span, but it's a battle . . . it's not much but it works for what we need :)



No comments: