Howdy y’all!
Crazy to see that it’s been up over 105 3 or 4 days this past week.
Summer has definitely hit here in Ensenada but nothing like 105. It’s
usually around 90 or 95 here with the ocean breeze. Next Monday are
transfers and I have a feeling I’m headed out of here so if you don’t hear from
me next week it’s because I am on the road somewhere. I completed 7
months this week and who knows where time has gone??
This week for work was super slow. Things have really slowed
down . . . we have 2 or 3 investigators that are so so and we aren’t receiving
references from the members so its been rough this past week. We realized
that we were focusing in too much on having a bunch of lessons and not in
finding. So yesterday in the ward council meeting we changed the ward
mission plan and told the whole ward that we are going to start teaching them
the lessons and if they don’t have someone in mind for us to teach we are going
to say a prayer and go to knock on their neighbors doors. Ha it’s an
interesting way to work and the members are super surprised when we just
straight up tell them we are going to say a prayer and ask that we have the
Spirit to help us know with what neighbor and what to say. It’s actually
pretty effective and keeps the members involved. I am super convinced
this is how the Lord wants us to work. It benefits everyone both
missionaries and members. This is the way to work in ALL of Mexico now.
Baptisms sure have gone down but tithing has gone up and our mission has
like 68% retention which is the highest in all of Mexico. We are
definitely seeing results here in the mission.
Can’t remember if I shared this story or not earlier but I am going
to share it anyways. We went to find a friend of a member up in the hills
2 weeks ago. She wasn’t home and we ended up chatting with a man of about
55 years. He had spent time in jail and had been involved a bunch with
drugs. But he was super friendly and we started chatting. He asked
us if we really believed that Christ came to the Americas and of course we told
him yes and we have the evidence of it. He pretty much told us that that
was BS and that we were crazy. The best thing we can do when it comes to
when people don’t want to listen to us it just bear our testimonies and tell
people that we have read the Book of Mormon and why we came on the mission.
If they really listen to what we say it’s a promise we have that they
will feel the Spirit and realize that it wasn’t true. So Elder Vargas and
I did that but he didn’t listen to us. He began to tell us that we
shouldn’t tell people that we know our message is true or bear our
"testimonies" because that is the cause of all confusion. To me
it was the voice of Satan. It discouraged me for a sec but I bore that
man my testimony like never before. He still wanted nothing to do with
our message but whatever. I was jacked and my testimony had never been
stronger before. It says in Preach My Gospel that logic can never deny a
heartfelt testimony.
We also taught an atheist this past week that pretty much just told
us that there isn’t God and we are crazy for teaching about him ha. Never
ever has my testimony been stronger that this is the Lord’s church and that
Satan will do WHATEVER possible to bring it down. Have it to be with gays
or drugs or whatever.
Be sure to read the Book of Mormon everyday and say your prayers
PLEASE :) it really makes a difference when we do the small things!!
Mom don’t sweat the luggage. I can deal with hauling my stuff
around for a day. If President doesn’t respond, don’t be surprised just
because he is super busy. I’ll talk with him this week to see what we can
do to get that luggage here. If there is nothing we can do then I’ll just
have to deal with it :)
Keaton enjoy your baptism buddy! I did everything I could to
try and have a baptism this week but it’s not gonna happen :(
Also enjoy the 4th of July for me! That’s my favorite holiday by far
and I am going to be in Mexico but its all good! I have been looking for
fireworks but haven’t found nothing. Ha we will be busy working anyways!
Enjoy these pictures of me and the view in Ensenada :)
I spent Tuesday in Maneadero which is about 30 minutes south of Hidalgo. It reminded me a lot of Levan as it’s just small town with a bunch of farm land. Super pretty too!
I spent Tuesday in Maneadero which is about 30 minutes south of Hidalgo. It reminded me a lot of Levan as it’s just small town with a bunch of farm land. Super pretty too!
This is the size of the spiders we killed this week during a service
project. We had to move a bunch of rocks around and they were all camped
out underneath. Super gross!!
I love you and miss you very much! Take care and enjoy the heat.
Rumor has it that I’m headed to Mexicali next week but who knows?
If so I’ll be in 130 degree everyday :) ha have a good one!
Elder Roper
No comments:
Post a Comment