Monday, June 17, 2013

Another Good Week!


Hey how are you all?  

This email is coming in early today because we are heading back out to the Blow Hole in about an hour as a zone.  The Elders from San Quintin and Guerrero Negro are up here for Zone Conference tomorrow so we always try to do something fun with them while they are up here!

This week has been a good one.  We didn’t have any baptisms and our other date pretty much wants to wait longer but we did meet a young man named Alejandro last Sunday.  I was praying and praying that we could find people because it has been slow here the past little bit but Alejandro just showed up to Church Sunday.  He is Catholic and talked with missionaries in the street 2 months ago but the missionaries never went to his house so he just came to church.  Super ready for the Gospel.  He accepted a baptismal date in the first visit and even went to institute with the others that are his age after the first lesson.  The Lord knows when people are ready for the Gospel and he puts us in their path or vice versa.  I love seeing this on a weekly basis :)

Funny story from yesterday-we didn’t have many appointments yesterday so we went and visited the members all day and shared a quick message with them.  The hill where the castle is- I think we visited just about every active family there.  While we were out walking around a man called us over speaking to us in English.  I talked to him in Spanish so Elder Vargas could understand but this man didn’t speak a lick of Spanish.  So I tried to teach him and share the pamphlet of the Restoration with him in English and I COULD NOT do it in English hahaha.  Don’t get me wrong, I can speak English fine still but because I study the Gospel and speak it in Spanish everyday, I can not teach the Gospel in English to save my life hahaah.  It was so funny because I would start teaching in English and end up in Spanish and the guy would just look at me like I was crazy hahahah.  We have an appointment with him Wednesday and his family.  So Elder Vargas will teach his family in Spanish and I will teach this man in English :) It should be an interesting lesson and I am looking forward to it!!

Dad, thank you for the email about the budget.  We get money every 15 days and the last 3 or 4 days of the quincena sure is tight ha.  We receive 800 pesos every 15 days.  I set 400 aside for food and the other 400 for bus fares.  10 pesos a pop so the buses add up after awhile.  I had to take out of my account for my trip to TJ because I was still waiting to be reimbursed from the trip.  I try my hardest not to spend my own money.  I hate doing it because I know I can get along fine with the money from the mission.  A budget is something I have learned quickly here.  I am glad I have learned it as well.  Elder Vargas buys food all the way home just about every night and by the end of the quincena he doesn’t have a lick of money and has to spend from home.  Sometimes we can’t buy the stuff we want because we need the money for other things.  Good lesson learned here in the mission.  I am thoroughly convinced the mission is as much for me as it is for the people I serve with.

I am glad you are all enjoying summer. I don’t remember what it’s like to have a break or to sit down and relax for a bit.  They gotta get the most out of us for these 2 years though.  

Keaton looks great in his jersey!  I hope he likes it!  

These pictures are fun :) there is a car here with Utah license plates.  I haven’t found the guy yet but I am still looking for him.  

The weather changes here quite a bit.  It’s always warm in the day and chilly in the night.  So I caught a bit of a cold that was kicking my butt this past week.  So we went for tacos and I had them put every bit of chile on these tacos they had.  Needless to say my mouth was on fire, but I sure felt better the next day.  The tacos came in spicy and left me even spicier hahaha :)  Gotta love the food here in Mexico!


Transfers are in 3 weeks. I hope I stay here in Ensenada with Elder Vargas for another 6 weeks because we have a bunch of baptisms lined up for July.  But everyone is telling me I will train this next transfer.  I am nervous for that but looking forward to it at the same time because I know I will grow a ton and really figure out how to work effectively :)  

I don’t need anything for now :) some more sunflower seeds and gum would be fine.  They help me take my mind off eating at night.  Please make sure the pants are loose around the legs :) ha comfort is key in the mission!  I am looking forward to that package though!  My feet are doing fine.  The powder helps and I just double sock it.  
Everything is going well here and I am learning so much :)

Glad to hear you all doing well and enjoying summer! I miss you and love you all!
Take care,

Elder Roper





No comments: