Monday, October 7, 2013

It's Impossible To Fail When You Do Your Best and When You Are On The Lord's Errand!


Hey, how are you all? Hope you had a great week! Mine was a bit rough but I'll get into details in just a bit :)

Let me get you some details about where I am at and the ward. The ward is called Ojo de Agua. It’s about an hour east of Tijuana and in between Tecate and Tijuana . Dad you can find it on Google maps if you search la Universidad de Tecnologica de Tijuana. We live right by there.  It’s definitely been a BIG change for me to say the least this week from Ensenada. I felt like I was homesick for Ensenada this week ha. Super hard to leave the members and missionary work just when it was getting good there. But I know the Lord needs me here.




There are 4 of us here in the ward. This is the cool part . . . Elder Tall and his trainee and myself and my trainee. Elder Tall is the district leader here and it’s kinda cool that we are working the same ward and training together. I didn’t get a picture of us so I’ll try and get one this week for ya Mom :) They divided the ward in two areas about 7 weeks ago and Elder Cornejo started there without a single investigator or nothing. Elder Tall didn’t leave us anything to work with when he left to the other part of the ward!  We still don’t have a whole lot to work with right now and it’s super discouraging and frustrating but it’s all good. We were averaging 37 - 42 lessons a week in Ensenada and this week we only had 18 ha. We don’t have any baptismal dates and with this new rule that investigators have to go 5 times to church to be baptized it will be hard to baptize this month. And the way things are looking we probably wont baptize til the middle of November or December. But I have faith and I know that if we work hard and help the members realize that they should be sharing the Gospel with everyone we will have success.

I really loved a quote from conference that said something like if we ALL shared the gospel with at least one person, how many people would feel God's love and possibly accept the gospel? So that’s what we are going to focus on right now. I am trying super hard to maintain a positive attitude and stay upbeat. It’s been a test of faith this week and I’m sure that's how it'll be my stay here in Ojo de Agua.

So I loved all the talks in conference that talked about trials and struggles, especially the one from the Prophet. That really hit home for me this week. My mission has been pretty easy so far, so I should have expected it to get a little tougher. Needless to say I am counting my blessings trying to stay positive. But please keep us in your prayers so that we can find people to teach :) And Mom don’t think that I am down or sad or homesick or anything please :) it’s just been a wake up call for me like welcome to reality ha. 

It was weird day Friday. I didn’t even remember it was my birthday until Elder Tall called me in the morning wishing me Happy Birthday. The members treated me real well and we ate birthday cake just about everyday this week ha :) Elder Cornejo and I ate the little cakes that you sent us Friday night and they actually turned out super well so thanks for those!! I got a ton of birthday emails so thanks to you all who sent them :)


Conference was really, really good and I loved it. I really liked all the talks about missionary work and LOVED the talk from President Uchtdorf about reactivation. Definitely can’t wait to share the talks with the less actives and members here in Ojo de Agua :) I understood a lot more this time but by Sunday afternoon I was super tired and sick of Spanish, so it was hard to pay attention. Please send me the conference Ensign in ENGLISH asap :) We went out for pizza Saturday in between the Priesthood sessions and yesterday we ate dinner with members that invited us after :) they take real good care of us here in TJ :)

Hey can you tell Paula's friend that we are living in the Refugio? That is my sector. That would be awesome if we could go out to eat or something. I don’t recognize the pictures from Tijuana but that’s awesome they were able to build that many houses in such a short time!

The quote that that guy left on the blog is SWEET :) time really is flying by too FAST! In regards to conferences, I’m half way done with my mission. That and my year mark is coming up way tooo fast as well. Time sure slowed down this week, I know the work will pick back up again and the time as well. Please keep us in your prayers :) I know we aren’t have a lot of success right now but I loved this quote from conference,

“It is impossible to fail when you do your best when you are on the Lord’s errand.”   M. Russell Ballard" LOVE IT :)

Well, I hope you all have a good week! I love and miss you all :)

Elder Roper :)

P.S. Dad sorry to hear about the government shut down situation, but ALWAYS pay tithing and the Lord will work the rest out :) 


No comments: