Monday, September 2, 2013

It Was A Good Week Here In Ensenada


Hey how are you all?

It was a good week here in Ensenada!  9 months of my mission are behind me and who knows where they have gone? It will be here before I know it that I am headed home just like Elder Jackson ha. But for now I am just enjoying my time here in Ensenada. I love being with Elder Valdez. He is happy all the time. He has been struggling with some dizziness and nausea for who knows why but he doesn’t complain and just keeps working. He is a super chatter box and is super friendly and talkative with the members. Sometimes I get shy around the members or during lessons but he is helping me break out of my shell I have sometimes ha.


It has been SUPER hot and humid here this past week. I haven’t slept too well because we sweat and sweat and sweat ha. It’s really not all that hot but it’s been super humid so we just sweat all day ha. We have been getting up at 6 in the morning and going running. Its been helping me a lot and all the members have asked me this week if I have lost weight ;)   I am in a lot of trouble if I get home in time for the Turkey Day 5k because I ran 2 laps Wednesday and was pooped ha. But I am slowly getting back into shape ;)

Wednesday morning as well we helped a member build his house. It makes me laugh here in Mexico because the people build their shacks by hand and later decide they want to make it bigger or nicer so they tear everything down and start over again. Once again it’s just the culture here.  The member had us cut slabs of wood with a little electric saw.... we cut the first one good but I cut the second slab super crooked and the member got mad and put us to work elsewhere. So we lifted the cement blocks seen in the pictures to his roof. I dunno what it is but I always love a good 2 or 3 hours of manual labor ha. I must have learned something from the long hard days of work with B Jackson ;) truly grateful I had that job to teach me how to work!




There is a kid here in the ward named Jeffrey Mosqueda. Super good friend of mine here in Ensenada. He in 16 years old and plays just about every sport there is. We went and played tennis with him Friday morning and I mentioned to him that I wanted to climb the hill by his house. So after seminary this morning he stopped by for us and we went and climbed the hill. It was super steep and I was pooped by the time we got to the top but it was worth it. I was hoping for a sweet pic of Ensenada from the top but the morning fog came in and is still here right now. 













We found a single mom this week and her son named Alejandro. He is 14 and we quickly became friends with him.  He started asking us questions about the church and he was super interested. He flat out told us . . . “Well elders, I want to be Mormon. What do I have to do to be Mormon and be a missionary?”  So there is some promise there :)  He came to mutual Wednesday night and loved it. So the work is picking back up again here in Ensenada. We are just waiting for Eduardo to get married and we have another family in teaching that are progressing as well. The Lord blesses us double when he just get to work and put in our part. All He ever asks is that we do our best!

Glad to hear the Utes won this past week :) I drew the drum and feather in my agenda last Monday but I didn’t even realize they were playing until Thursday when we got home. It’s amazing to me how I could completely forget about Utah football!! Just didn’t have time to think about it ha. 


Super glad to hear that there was baptism back home and there will be another one here in a bit. Sounds like the work is really picking up home as well. Dad I would love be your assistant if you’re still WML when I get home. Just put in the good word for me okay? ;)

Well that’s about it for this week. My shoes are holding up just fine. Just could use a suit that has some more room in the legs is all :)

It makes me happy to hear that all is well back home and Dad had a good trip. Hope school is going well and the transition back is going smoothly.

I am doing great. Sweating like crazy but it is what it is right?

Have a great week!

Love and miss you all!

Elder Roper :)

This other picture is the size of the average door here in Mexico. . . . just kidding ha. I feel like I am the size of everyone here in Mexico but then I see pictures like this and realize I’m still a giant :P Who knows why this tiny door was there though?? 

Jackson's birthday is coming up on October 4. If you have a minute, please send him a letter or birthday card. It takes about 1 month for him to receive mail. Here is his address: 

Elder Jackson Roper
Mexico Tijuana Mission
PMB 157
P.O. Box 439056

San Ysidro, CA 92143-9056

I am also compiling a birthday photo album for him. Have someone take a photo of you holding a happy birthday sign. Email the photo to me at: roper2369@gmail.com I will print the photos and put them into an album. Please email me your photo by Thursday, September 4. 

I know Jackson would love to hear from you and will appreciate letters, cards and the photo.

I have already received a few photos!
Thank you so much for your help! 





No comments: