Monday, March 25, 2013

Crazy Week This Week!


Hola-

Crazy week this week.  Good to hear the new changes in the ward.  I thought for sure the bishopric would be people from our ward but I guess not.  It’s all good though.  

I had 4 days of divisions with other Elders in the district this week.  I learned a lot and saw a lot of different missionaries too.  With Elder Newell we worked all day and didn’t stop until 9 at night.  With the others we worked okay and returned home super earlier at like 7:30.  There are a lot of missionaries that don’t do a thing here and it makes me sick honestly.  They no lie sit in the house all day and are miserable.  I don’t know how or why they waste their time and money like that but it’s out of my control and I am still the greeny fresh out of the MTC.  I did have some great experiences this week though.

On Saturday we hit up the Sobres or swap meet in English.  Always a blast and there are great deals!  I bought my first 2 Sobres ties...see the pics...for 20 pesos or like $1.50!  Sweet huh? Afterwards I went to Casablanca with Elder Duarte to work with him for the day.  We had a cleaning assignment to help an elderly lady clean her house.  She is blind, isn’t a member and has little to nothing to eat better yet to do.  Her house was honestly the worst condition of a house I have ever seen and it smelt even worse.  Her family won’t help her for who knows why and all she could do was cry to us.  She didn’t have any cleaning supplies so we moved her bed around for her and swept the floor and that was all we could do.  I wanted to do so much more but we didn’t have the supplies or time.  I felt terrible for her but at the same time I felt the love that God has for his children.  No matter who we are or where we come from, God always loves us.  I think I felt just a tiny bit of this love as we were sweeping her house.  Powerful experience.

I had always wondered when this would happen, but yesterday the speakers just decided to not show up to Sacrament and ditch their talks.  It has happened the past two weeks in the ward.  Just shows the different lifestyles of American members and Mexican members.  I was up front at the Sacrament table because there is only one Priest when the one of the bishopric members asked if Elder Castelan and I could give a talk each of us......yes - in Spanish...yes -  without any preparation!  We gladly accepted.  Elder Castelan said that he had always seen the missionaries speak in his home ward about the work.  And now it was our turn. I spoke,,,yes - in Spanish....on 3 Nephi 11 specifically the last verse.  It’s when Christ comes to the Americas and establishes His doctrine.  The last verse is very interesting because it says in Spanish,,id a este pueblo...I can’t remember it in English.  He is inviting the people to teach and spread the word.  He isn’t just talking to the missionaries or the prophets and apostles, He is talking to the whole multitude - better yet because the Book of Mormon is for our time, He is talking to us.  If we are to live the Doctrine of Christ in our lives, we are to spread the word as Christ says.  Something interesting I have found in my studies of the Book of Mormon on the mission.  

Another cool experience I had yesterday was while we were with an investigator.  Her name is Mirtha and looks a lot like and reminds me so much of Jenny’s mom-Nancy.  She is a great...wants to wait to be baptized for a bit...but she is downright honest in everything she says and the type of person she is.  She was asking us about our missions and how we can give up 2 years to work for the Lord and all those questions.  She then told us something very, very special.  She said, “Geez when I see you guys walking down the street, it’s like I am seeing Christ.  You are in your nice clothes and want nothing other than to help people.”  My jaw dropped when she said that and is maybe the best compliment I have had while on the mission.  Granted we aren’t Christ, nor will we ever be but, we are His missionaries and His representatives to bring the world His Truth.  Cool huh?

It was a great week!  I still haven’t gotten the package...I think it just takes time.  I have received 2 letters...one from Sam Staker and the other from Makayla Sharpe.  I want to write back but don’t have any stamps so in whatever package you send next could you get me some stamps please?  There are many members here that work in the States so they can mail my letters I just need stamps.  

To answer Dad's question we have a washer.  It’s not much but it sure beats having to pay for washing machines.  

We haven’t had anymore baptisms sadly.  I am dying for the next one.  It’s a good thing success isn’t measured by baptisms though.  

We will watch conference here in the chapel.  I think from the church website.  I hope they have it in English so I can get something out of it.  Thanks for all the sports updates..they keep me sane.  

Well, I hope you are all doing good.  I have heard the sisters are getting transferred here in the middle of April with transfers so I am sure I will be transferred here in a bit but who knows?  I am doing great and loving the mission.  I pray for a great companion in the future that wants to work hard all day.  I go nuts when we don’t do anything!

Well take care and I will hear from you next week!

Elder Roper


No comments: