Thursday, February 7, 2013

Week 10


Hey Y’all!!

Good news! :) We rode the train up north yesterday to the consulate and got everything squared away so I should be receiving my visa today and leaving Monday or Tuesday morning.  I haven’t received my travel plans yet but I will let you know through email or possibly phone call when we are leaving.  We rode the Front Runner up to the IMC Hospital - yes, 5 minutes away from the house - hopped on Trax, got off by Spring Mobile, walked by the ball park to the consulate.  One of the weirdest experiences of my entire life being out of the MTC and better yet 5 minutes away from the house.  We talked to a few people on the train - mostly members asking why there was a group of 20 missionaries riding the train and walking around SLC.  We got a lot of funny looks on the train.  This shows you how much I have changed but EVERYONE had some sort of iPad or laptop on the train and I couldn’t help but think how much easier life was without all these devices.  I saw people reading all sorts of different books and without even realizing it, I thought, “Man you really should be reading the Book of Mormon.”  Ha that book is of God.  Period.  Read it.  We were talking to a guy before we got on the train just telling him where we were going and why our name tags were in Spanish and he was like, where can I find out more about your church? BINGO!! Ha one of the Elders that was with us talked to him and gave him a Book of Mormon and my boy Elder Gundersen explained some of the basic doctrines in the book.  We got his contact info and gave it back to the Elders here at the referral center so someone can call and talk with this man.  I am so very grateful for this experience.  I forget how much we stand out here.  At the MTC everyone has a black name tag on and everyone is in a suit.  Yesterday really made me look at myself and how I wear Christ's name over my heart daily and represent His church.  I already know the first few days in Tijuana are going to be very overwhelming and nerve wracking but that is what I signed up for - right?  I found comfort for the field in D & C 84:85. I think where it talks about how we are Christ's friends and because we have the Gospel, He expects us to take that to the world.  Very comforting words in those verses.  Christ is truly with us every step of the way. 
My mind is blown that the next time you hear from me I will probably be in Tijuana!!  Ha it will be a great experience to finally get down there.  I will grow so much in the next few weeks.  We are making our final preparations here in the MTC and trying to be ready for the real world once again.  I just fall back that many Elders have done it before and survived.  Better yet . . . the Savior suffered and felt this in the Garden so He knows exactly how I feel right now.  Enough about me though.  I am happy Daniel and Wyatt were able to come by.  It was probably fun to visit with them for a bit.  Also cool that Aubrey got her call to Ukraine!!  That is nuts!  That’s awesome that Hayden and Keaton were able to start ball again at Edo's.  That should be good getting back into baseball for them. 

Well I hope you have all had a very good week!  Can’t believe I was within five minutes of you all yesterday but it’s all good.  Watch your email and phones so I can let you know when I will be leaving and when to expect a call from the airport :)  Take care of yourselves!  I love and miss you all!

Your son and bro soon to be engulfed in Mexico-
Elder Roper

Elder Rentz and I 
Jackson and Elder Nick Paulson
Jackson and Nick went to high school together.  They played on the baseball team and
served on the seminary council together.
The district before the 3 left to Vegas 
The future starting QB for the U - Elder Chase Hansen

No comments: